2020 has been a year to remember… and a year to forget! We are committed to starting 2021 with a positive attitude and a renewed sense of gratitude for all of the positive things that happened in 2020. We have improved the hotel and enhanced our services to ensure we are following government guideline and are now one of the safest places to stay in Waterford. Here are some of the biggest changes we have made around the hotel.
Changes in Practice
As a result of the pandemic, we needed to rethink our daily operations. We surveyed the entire hotel, from the public areas to the bedrooms, and improved our cleanliness practices to keep our staff and guests safe. We are following all government guidelines and adapting to any new advice that emerges. Some of the main changes include:
In Our Restaurant
• We have redesigned the layout to ensure there is adequate space between tables and for our staff to move around safely.
• Maximum of 6 people per table indoors and outdoors. No multiple table bookings for the same party are allowed.
• Food & beverage facilities are cleared of all patrons by 11:30pm.
• No live music or performances are allowed.
• Where we are operating tables with the physical distancing of 1 metre, tables must be pre-booked and the max time allowed is 105 minutes.
• Alcohol cannot be served unless it is ordered as part of a substantial meal with a minimum food cost of €9 per person.
• COVID-19 contact tracing is in place in the hotel and restaurant.
In Our Public Areas
• Face coverings must be worn at all times when in the public areas of the property, the only exception is when seated at your table in our restaurant.
• Frequent and constant cleaning of public areas with special attention to frequently touched places like door handles, light switches and countertops.
• We now operate a one-way traffic system in public areas, encouraging guests to follow floors arrows and avoiding congregation.
• COVID-19 signage & communication is clear and concise and we have dedicated members of staff on hand to monitor procedures
• We have installed Perspex screens in areas where physical distance may be an issue, such as the reception desk.
• 2-metre social distancing is in place across all public areas of the hotel.
If a guest or staff member becomes unwell during their visit, we have a procedure in place to ensure no other staff or guests are in danger. Each team member has been fully briefed on how to approach guests that may be unwell or are self-isolating and we remain in close daily contact with each team member to ensure they remain in good health.
In Our Bedrooms
While our bedrooms were notoriously clean and well maintained, we have enhanced our housekeeping procedures and included new sanitisation processes. We have introduced Steri-7 Xtra bio-misting system with Reactive Barrier Technology into our daily cleaning routine. This process enables us to safely disinfect and sanitise all guest rooms prior to arrival, including all public areas, restaurants, bar and back of house. The system and its non-tainting and odour-neutralising properties are also effective between cleans and continues to kill pathogens up to 7 days after application. It is safe to use on food surfaces and is completely harmless to people. We are proud to say Viking Hotel is taking every measure possible to ensure we are doing our very best in the fight against Covid-19.
While many of us cannot wait to get back to ‘normal’ life, dining in restaurants with friends, some may still be a little apprehensive. That’s why we have introduced a daily take-away service so you can enjoy delicious restaurant quality meals in the comfort of your home. We post new menus every week, designed and freshly prepared by our talented kitchen team. They’re ideal for solo meals, romantic treats or family dinners without the washing up.
The safety and comfort of our guests is our top priority and if you notice anything that we could be doing better, we welcome your feedback. If you’d like to book a stay in Viking Hotel Waterford as an essential worker or, when allowed, a leisure guest, we would be delighted to welcome you. Make sure to book directly on our website or with our friendly team to avail of our lowest rates and exclusive access to our special offers.